[lee-muh n] /ˈli mən/
[juh-nee-vuh] /dʒəˈni və/
a city in and the capital of the canton of Geneva, in SW Switzerland, on the Lake of Geneva: seat of the League of Nations 1920–46.
a canton in SW Switzerland. 109 sq. mi. (282 sq. km).
Lake of. Also called Lake Leman. a lake between SW Switzerland and France. 45 miles (72 km) long; 225 sq. mi. (583 sq. km).
a city in central New York.
a female given name.
a city in SW Switzerland, in the Rhône valley on Lake Geneva: centre of Calvinism; headquarters of the International Red Cross (1864), the International Labour Office (1925), the League of Nations (1929–46), the World Health Organization, and the European office of the United Nations; banking centre. Pop: 177 500 (2002 est)
a canton in SW Switzerland. Capital: Geneva. Pop: 419 300 (2002 est). Area: 282 sq km (109 sq miles) French name Genève German name Genf
Lake Geneva, a lake between SW Switzerland and E France: fed and drained by the River Rhône, it is the largest of the Alpine lakes; the surface is subject to considerable changes of level. Area: 580 sq km (224 sq miles) French name Lac Léman German name Genfersee
a beloved; sweetheart
a lover or mistress
Lac Léman, the French name for (Lake) Geneva
city in Switzerland, from Latin Genava, perhaps from a PIE root meaning “estuary” or one meaning “bend;” in either case a reference to its situation. The city was the headquarters of the League of Nations from 1920. The original Geneva Convention to introduce humanitarian conduct in modern warfare dates from 1864; the most recent update was in 1949. The Geneva Protocol is a League of Nations document meant to settle international disputes; it dates from 1924. Earlier the city was associated with Calvinism. Meaning “gin” is from 1706 (see gin (n.1)).
“sweetheart, paramour” (archaic), late 13c., from Middle English leofman (c.1200), from Old English leof “dear” (see lief) + man “human being, person” (see man (n.)). Originally of either gender, though deliberate archaic usage tends to limit it to women.
City in southwestern Switzerland, lying on the western end of Lake Geneva, where the Rhone River leaves the lake.
Note: Because of Switzerland’s strict neutrality, Geneva provides an impartial meeting ground for representatives of other nations.
Note: The city housed the headquarters of the League of Nations in the Palace of Nations, which is now the European headquarters of the United Nations.
Note: The International Labor Organization, the International Red Cross, and the World Council of Churches are also based in Geneva.
Note: Under the leadership of John Calvin in the sixteenth century, Geneva was the center of Protestantism.
Note: The Geneva Accords were a group of four agreements made in 1954, ending seven and a half years of war in Indochina.
Note: The Geneva Conventions, signed first in 1864 and then in 1906, 1929, 1949, and 1977, provide rules for the humane treatment of prisoners and wounded persons during a war.
[pe-roo-jah; English puh-roo-juh, -jee-uh] /pɛˈru dʒɑ; English pəˈru dʒə, -dʒi ə/ noun 1. a city in central Umbria, in central Italy. 2. Lake of. . [trah-zee-me-naw] /ˌtrɑ ziˈmɛ nɔ/ noun 1. a lake in central Italy, in Umbria near Perugia: Romans defeated by Hannibal 217 b.c. About 50 sq. mi. (130 sq. km). /pəˈruːdʒə; Italian […]
[loo-surn; French ly-sern] /luˈsɜrn; French lüˈsɛrn/ noun 1. a canton in central Switzerland. 576 sq. mi. (1490 sq. km). 2. the capital of this canton, on Lake of Lucerne. 3. Lake of. Also called Lake of the Four Forest Cantons. a lake in central Switzerland. 24 miles (39 km) long; 44 sq. mi. (114 sq. […]
noun 1. a lake in S Canada and the N United States, between N Minnesota and Ontario and Manitoba provinces. 1485 sq. mi. (3845 sq. km). [woo dz] /wʊdz/ noun 1. Eldrick [el-drik] /ˈɛl drɪk/ (Show IPA), (“Tiger”) born 1975, U.S. professional golfer. 2. Lake of the. . /wʊdz/ plural noun 1. closely packed trees […]
noun 1. a town in NE New York, in the Adirondack Mountains: resort.