A magazine, like a newspaper, is a comprehensive source of information for readers. For the person who decides to publish his or her own magazine, this can become a favorite pastime and a reliable source of income.
Informative, colorful, beautifully illustrated, flawlessly designed, and with excellent printing, a magazine is attractive to the consumer. In the intermediate position between a book and a newspaper, the magazine has taken the advantages of the traditional editions:
The magazine has borrowed from the newspaper periodicity of publication, topical content, rubrication of materials, entertainment block, placement of advertising, convenient ” journey” size, and low cost.
Signs of a book in a magazine publication: artistic content, illustrations, use of full-color printing, format (cover, a text block), and presence of a target audience.
Starting a magazine publication is a great idea, making this idea a reality requires knowledge, effort, time, patience, and financial resources. You can print the inside content on a personal computer, design the magazine yourself or use the services of commercial publishers. The easiest and most affordable option is the most unpromising way to publish a magazine. You should agree that a computer layout without professional processing (editing, layout, design, formatting) at the finish can be a polygraphic product, the quality of which is far from ideal. In that case, you must use unique magazine mockups from ls.
Before you start publishing a magazine, you should:
1. Clearly describe the concept of the publication, what you want to write about, what articles, notes to place, choose the topic of the future magazine.
2. Decide on the target audience for whom you are going to publish the magazine. You should be clear about the gender, age, interests of your readers.
Having outlined the concept of the future magazine, identifying the target audience, you need to proceed to the implementation of plans:
3. You need to register as a legal entity/entrepreneur and obtain a certificate of registration for a printed publication. If an electronic supplement to the paper version is envisaged, an electronic domain should also be registered. The simple procedure of registering a publication may take about a month. Publishing a magazine without a registration certificate is fraught with legal problems; in the absence of authorization documentation, the rights of journalists do not extend to the editorial staff.
4. Draw up a business plan and recruit qualified staff. A minimum staff is an economically sound solution. The project budget determines the number of staff. Of course, it is preferable to employ multidisciplinary specialists with a two/three-in-one formula, fee-based writers, proofreaders, and typesetters with a piece-rate pay. But it’s important not to overdo it: incompetence of employees (if a loader is also a layout designer) and work in rush mode negatively affects the quality of the magazine.
5. Sign a contract with a print shop and establish distribution channels. Cooperating with a print shop to print a magazine on a permanent basis is beneficial for both parties. Experienced publishers know that it is essential to have back-up material and ready-to-print backup issues of the magazine. Reliable methods of magazine distribution ensure the financial success of the publishing enterprise. A magazine is a fast-moving product and therefore needs to be sold quickly. The marketing and publicity staff is able to deal with the promotion of the magazine in the consumer market.
6. Have start-up capital: own, investors, or sponsors. A clear idea of the costs to be incurred, calculation of time, and the amount of return on investment will avoid disappointments or negative moments in relations with investors.
The success of a print publication depends on its content, a striking cover, and a high standard of typography. These three factors determine the demand for a publication. Every magazine has an audience, and a publisher’s respect for its readers guarantees the popularity of its edition. brainchild”.