an extension usually at right angles to one end of a building.
something that is L -shaped.
a former measure of length, varying in different countries: in England equal to 45 inches (114 cm).
an obsolete unit of length equal to approximately 45 inches
an extension to a building, usually at right angles and located at one end
a pipe fitting, pipe, or tube with a sharp right-angle bend
“unit of measure of 45 inches,” Old English eln, originally “forearm, length of the arm” (as a measure, anywhere from a foot and a half to two feet), from PIE *el- (1) “elbow, forearm” (cf. Greek olene “elbow,” Latin ulna, Armenian uln “shoulder,” Sanskrit anih “part of the leg above the knee,” Lithuanian alkune “elbow”).
The exact distance varied, depending on whose arm was used as the base and whether it was measured from the shoulder to the fingertip or the wrist: the Scottish ell was 37.2 inches, the Flemish 27 inches. Latin ulna also was a unit of linear measure, and cf. cubit.
Whereas shee tooke an inche of liberty before, tooke an ell afterwardes [Humfrey Gifford, “A Posie of Gilloflowers,” 1580].
type of building extension, 1773, American English; so called for resemblance to the shape of the alphabet letter.
[el-uh] /ˈɛl ə/ noun 1. a female given name: from a Germanic word meaning “all.”. 1. a suffix used as a formative in taxonomic names, especially genus names of bacteria: chorella; pasteurella; salmonella. fem. proper name, when not a diminutive of Eleanor it is from Old High German Alia, from al “all.” diminutive word-forming element, […]
[uh-laj-ik] /əˈlædʒ ɪk/ noun, Pharmacology. 1. a yellow crystalline substance, C 14 H 6 O 8 , isolated from oak galls and tannins and used as a hemostatic. ellagic acid el·lag·ic acid (ĭ-lāj’ĭk) n. A yellow crystalline compound that is obtained from tannins and used as a hemostatic.
[e-lahs] /ɛˈlɑs/ noun 1. Modern Greek name of . [el-uh] /ˈɛl ə/ noun 1. a female given name: from a Germanic word meaning “all.”. /ɛˈlas/ noun 1. transliteration of the Modern Greek name for Greece fem. proper name, when not a diminutive of Eleanor it is from Old High German Alia, from al “all.”
the oak or heap of Assyria, a territory in Asia of which Arioch was king (Gen. 14:1, 9). It is supposed that the old Chaldean town of Larsa was the metropolis of this kingdom, situated nearly half-way between Ur (now Mugheir) and Erech, on the left bank of the Euphrates. This town is represented by […]