a microcrystalline, translucent variety of quartz, often milky or grayish.
noun (pl) -nies
a microcrystalline often greyish form of quartz with crystals arranged in parallel fibres: a gemstone. Formula: SiO2
c.1300, from Latin calcedonius, in Vulgate translating Greek khalkedon in Rev. xxi:19, found nowhere else. Connection with Chalcedon in Asia Minor “is very doubtful” [OED]. The city name is from Phoenician and means “new town.”
A type of quartz that has a waxy luster and varies from transparent to translucent. It is usually white, pale-blue, gray, brown, or black and is often found as a lining in cavities. Agate, flint, and onyx are forms of chalcedony. Chemical formula: SiO2.
Mentioned only in Rev. 21:19, as one of the precious stones in the foundation of the New Jerusalem. The name of this stone is derived from Chalcedon, where it is said to have been first discovered. In modern mineralogy this is the name of an agate-like quartz of a bluish colour. Pliny so names the Indian ruby. The mineral intended in Revelation is probably the Hebrew _nophekh_, translated “emerald” (Ex. 28:18; 39:11; Ezek. 27:16; 28:13). It is rendered “anthrax” in the LXX., and “carbunculus” in the Vulgate. (See CARBUNCLE.)
an ancient city in NW Asia Minor, on the Bosporus, opposite Byzantium. Council of, the ecumenical council held there in a.d. 451.
any of numerous small flies of the family Chalcididae, often having bright metallic coloration, the larvae of which are chiefly parasitic on various stages of other insects. noun any tiny hymenopterous insect of the family Chalcididae and related families, whose larvae are parasites of other insects
any of numerous small flies of the family Chalcididae, often having bright metallic coloration, the larvae of which are chiefly parasitic on various stages of other insects.
a peninsula in NE Greece. noun a peninsula of N central Greece, in Macedonia Central, ending in the three promontories of Kassandra, Sithonia, and Akti. Area: 2945 sq km (1149 sq miles) Modern Greek name Khalkidíki
an annex of an ancient Roman basilica. an annex or appendage, especially a narthex, of an early Christian basilica.