Dictionary: A   B   C   D   E   F   G   H   I   J   K   L   M   N   O   P   Q   R   S   T   U   V   W   X   Y   Z


[floo-tid] /ˈflu tɪd/

fine, clear, and mellow; flutelike:
fluted notes.
having , grooves, or the like:
a fluted column; fluted material; fluted stone tools.
[floot] /flut/
a musical wind instrument consisting of a tube with a series of fingerholes or keys, in which the wind is directed against a sharp edge, either directly, as in the modern transverse flute, or through a flue, as in the recorder.
an organ stop with wide flue pipes, having a flutelike tone.
Architecture, Furniture. a channel, groove, or furrow, as on the shaft of a column.
any groove or furrow, as in a ruffle of cloth or on a piecrust.
one of the helical grooves of a twist drill.
a slender, footed wineglass of the 17th century, having a tall, conical bowl.
a similar stemmed glass, used especially for champagne.
verb (used without object), fluted, fluting.
to produce flutelike sounds.
to play on a flute.
(of a metal strip or sheet) to kink or break in bending.
verb (used with object), fluted, fluting.
to utter in flutelike tones.
to form longitudinal flutes or furrows in:
to flute a piecrust.
(esp of the shaft of a column) having flutes
sounding like a flute
a wind instrument consisting of an open cylindrical tube of wood or metal having holes in the side stopped either by the fingers or by pads controlled by keys. The breath is directed across a mouth hole cut in the side, causing the air in the tube to vibrate. Range: about three octaves upwards from middle C
any pipe blown directly on the principle of a flue pipe, either by means of a mouth hole or through a fipple
(architect) a rounded shallow concave groove on the shaft of a column, pilaster, etc
a groove or furrow in cloth, etc
a tall narrow wineglass
anything shaped like a flute
to produce or utter (sounds) in the manner or tone of a flute
(transitive) to make grooves or furrows in

1610s, past participle adjective from flute (v.).

early 14c., from Old French flaute (12c.), from Old Provençal flaut, of uncertain origin, perhaps imitative or from Latin flare “to blow;” perhaps influenced by Provençal laut “lute.” The other Germanic words (cf. German flöte) are likewise borrowings from French.

Ancient flutes were blown through a mouthpiece, like a recorder; the modern transverse or German flute developed 18c. The older style then sometimes were called flûte-a-bec (French, literally “flute with a beak”). The modern design and key system of the concert flute were perfected 1834 by Theobald Boehm. The architectural sense of “furrow in a pillar” (1650s) is from fancied resemblance to the inside of a flute split down the middle. Meaning “tall, slender wine glass” is from 1640s.

late 14c., “to play upon the flute,” from flute (n.). Meaning “to make (architectural) flutes” is from 1570s. Related: Fluted; fluting.

A high-pitched woodwind, held horizontally by the player and played by blowing across a hole.


A male homosexual

Related Terms

play the skin flute, skin flute

[1940s+; fr metaphor of flute as ”penis,” and a homosexual as one who plays the skin flute]

a musical instrument, probably composed of a number of pipes, mentioned Dan. 3:5, 7, 10, 15. In Matt. 9:23, 24, notice is taken of players on the flute, here called “minstrels” (but in R.V. “flute-players”). Flutes were in common use among the ancient Egyptians.


Read Also:

  • Fluter

    [floo-ter] /ˈflu tər/ noun 1. a person who makes flutings. 2. Archaic. a flutist. /ˈfluːtə/ noun 1. a craftsman who makes flutes or fluting 2. a tool used to make flutes or fluting 3. a less common word, used esp in folk music, for flautist noun A male homosexual Related Terms play the skin flute, […]

  • Flutey

    [floo-tee] /ˈflu ti/ adjective, flutier, flutiest. 1. . [floo-tee] /ˈflu ti/ adjective, flutier, flutiest. 1. having the tone and rather high pitch variation of a : a person of fastidious manner and fluty voice.

  • Fluting

    [floo-ting] /ˈflu tɪŋ/ noun 1. something having ornamental grooves, as a Greek column. 2. a groove, furrow, or , or a series of these. [floot] /flut/ noun 1. a musical wind instrument consisting of a tube with a series of fingerholes or keys, in which the wind is directed against a sharp edge, either directly, […]

  • Flutist

    [floo-tist] /ˈflu tɪst/ noun 1. a player. /ˈfluːtɪst/ noun 1. (mainly US & Canadian) a variant of flautist n. c.1600, probably from French flûtiste; replaced Middle English flouter (early 13c., from Old French flauteor) and is preferred in U.S. The British preference is flautist (q.v.), a Continental reborrowing that returns the original diphthong.

Disclaimer: Fluted definition / meaning should not be considered complete, up to date, and is not intended to be used in place of a visit, consultation, or advice of a legal, medical, or any other professional. All content on this website is for informational purposes only.