[glos-ter, glaw-ster] /ˈglɒs tər, ˈglɔ stər/
Duke of, .
a seaport in W in SW England, on the Severn River.
a seaport in NE Massachusetts.
a city in SW England, administrative centre of Gloucestershire, on the River Severn; cathedral (founded 1100). Pop: 123 205 (2001) Latin name Glevum (ˈɡliːvʊm)
Humphrey, Duke of. 1391–1447, English soldier and statesman; son of Henry IV. He acted as protector during Henry VI’s minority (1422–29) and was noted for his patronage of humanists
Duke of. See Richard III
Duke of. See Thomas of Woodstock
English county, Old English Gleawceaster, from Latin Coloniae Glev (2c.), from Glevo, a Celtic name meaning “bright place” (perhaps influenced by Old English gleaw “wise, prudent”) + Old English ceaster “Roman town” (see Chester).
- Gloucester cheese
noun a dense yellow English cheese similar to cheddar; also called Double Gloucester , Single Gloucester Word Origin made in Gloucestershire
noun 1. a city in W New Jersey, on the Delaware River.
[glos-ter-sheer, -sher, glaw-ster-] /ˈglɒs tərˌʃɪər, -ʃər, ˈglɔ stər-/ noun 1. a county in SW England. 1255 sq. mi. (2640 sq. km). County seat: Gloucester. /ˈɡlɒstəˌʃɪə; -ʃə/ noun 1. a county of SW England, situated around the lower Severn valley: contains the Forest of Dean and the main part of the Cotswold Hills: the geographical and […]
- Gloucester old spot
noun 1. a hardy rare breed of pig, white with a few black markings, that originally lived off windfalls in orchards in the Severn valley