[nik-uh-see-uh] /ˌnɪk əˈsi ə/
a city on and the capital of Cyprus, in the central part.
[sahy-pruh s] /ˈsaɪ prəs/
an island republic in the Mediterranean, S of Turkey: formerly a British colony; independent since 1960. 3572 sq. mi. (9250 sq. km).
the capital of Cyprus, in the central part on the Pedieos River: capital since the 10th century. Pop (Greek and Turkish): 211 000 (2005 est) Greek name Levkosia, Leukosia Turkish name Lefkoşa
an island in the E Mediterranean: ceded to Britain by Turkey in 1878 and made a colony in 1925; became an independent republic in 1960 as a member of the Commonwealth; invaded by Turkey in 1974 following a Greek-supported military coup, leading to the partition of the island. In 1983 the Turkish-controlled northern sector declared itself to be an independent state as the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus but failed to receive international recognition. Attempts by the UN to broker a reunification agreement have failed. Cyprus joined the EU in 2004. The UK maintains two enclaves as military bases (Akrotiri and Dhekelia Sovereign Base Areas), which are not included in Cyprus politically. Languages: Greek and Turkish. Religions: Greek Orthodox and Muslim. Currency: euro and Turkish lira. Capital: Nicosia. Pop (Greek): 838 897 (2011 est); (Turkish): 265 100 (2006 est). Area: 9251 sq km (3571 sq miles)
eatern Mediterranean island, from Greek Kypros “land of cypress trees” (see cypress).
Island republic in the eastern Mediterranean Sea, south of Turkey and west of Syria. Nicosia is its capital and largest city.
Note: People of Greek origin make up four-fifths of the population, and those of Turkish origin compose the other fifth. Conflict between the two led to a Turkish invasion that divided the island in the 1970s.
one of the largest islands of the Mediterranean, about 148 miles long and 40 broad. It is distant about 60 miles from the Syrian coast. It was the “Chittim” of the Old Testament (Num. 24:24). The Greek colonists gave it the name of Kypros, from the cyprus, i.e., the henna (see CAMPHIRE ØT0000701), which grew on this island. It was originally inhabited by Phoenicians. In B.C. 477 it fell under the dominion of the Greeks; and became a Roman province B.C. 58. In ancient times it was a centre of great commercial activity. Corn and wine and oil were produced here in the greatest perfection. It was rich also in timber and in mineral wealth. It is first mentioned in the New Testament (Acts 4:36) as the native place of Barnabas. It was the scene of Paul’s first missionary labours (13:4-13), when he and Barnabas and John Mark were sent forth by the church of Antioch. It was afterwards visited by Barnabas and Mark alone (15:39). Mnason, an “old disciple,” probaly one of the converts of the day of Pentecost belonging to this island, is mentioned (21:16). It is also mentioned in connection with the voyages of Paul (Acts 21:3; 27:4). After being under the Turks for three hundred years, it was given up to the British Government in 1878.
[nahy-kos-truh-tuh s] /naɪˈkɒs trə təs/ noun, Classical Mythology. 1. a son of Menelaus and Helen who, with his illegitimate brother Megapenthes, expelled Helen from Sparta when Menelaus died.
[ni-koh-shee-ey-nuh, -an-uh, -ah-nuh] /nɪˌkoʊ ʃiˈeɪ nə, -ˈæn ə, -ˈɑ nə/ noun 1. any plant belonging to the genus Nicotiana, of the nightshade family, especially one grown for its ornamental value, as flowering tobacco. /nɪˌkəʊʃɪˈɑːnə; -ˈeɪnə/ noun 1. any solanaceous plant of the American and Australian genus Nicotiana, such as tobacco, having white, yellow, or purple […]
[nik-uh-tin-uh-mahyd, -mid, -tee-nuh-] /ˌnɪk əˈtɪn əˌmaɪd, -mɪd, -ˈti nə-/ noun, Biochemistry. 1. a colorless, crystalline, water-soluble solid, C 6 H 6 N 2 O, the of nicotinic acid, and a component of the vitamin-B complex, found in meat, liver, fish, whole wheat, and eggs: used in medicine chiefly as an agent for preventing or treating […]