is a parasitic worm that lives in the intestines and causes a serious illness known as trichinosis. The eggs usually enter the body via raw or undercooked pork, sausage or bear meat. In the intestines, the eggs hatch, mature, and migrate to other parts of the body through the bloodstream and the lymphatic system. Early symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal cramps. In time, a high fever, puffiness of the face and muscle pain develop. Eventually the worms can penetrate the muscles, the heart and the brain and can cause death. Treatment with an anti-worm drug such as thiabendazole, as well as bed rest and a physician’s care, can cure trichinosis. Recovery may take several months. Diagnosis of trichinosis sometimes requires analysis of a tissue sample (biopsy) taken from muscle.
- Trichinella spiralis
The worm that causes trichinosis. Trichinella spiralis larvae can infest pigs and wild game, hibernating in muscle tissue within a protective cyst. Trichinosis can be correspondingly defined as a disease caused by eating raw or undercooked pork or wild game infested with the larvae of the worm Trichinella spiralis. When a human or an animal […]
Cook meat until the juices run clear or to an internal temperature of 170 degrees F (77 degrees C). Freeze pork less than 6 inches (15 cm) thick for 20 days at 5 degrees F (-15 degrees C) to kill any worms. Cook wild game meat thoroughly. (Freezing wild game meats, unlike freezing pork products, […]
A disease that is due to eating raw or undercooked pork or wild game that is infected with Trichinella spiralis larvae. Initial symptoms are abdominal discomfort, nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, fatigue, and fever. Next usually come headaches, fevers, chills, cough, eye swelling, aching joints, muscle pains, itchy skin, diarrhea, and constipation. With heavy infection, patients may […]
A possible carcinogenic (cancer-causing) compound used mainly as a degreaser for metal parts. Trichloroethylene was also at one time used to decaffeinate coffee and as an anesthetic. There are limited findings of elevated liver and biliary tract cancer rates in occupational groups exposed to trichloroethylene. There is also evidence of cancer formation in experimental animals […]
A wad of swallowed hair. Also called a hairball. Trichobezoars can sometimes be found to cause blockage of the digestive system, especially at the exit of the stomach. Interestingly, in the Far East culture, trichobezoars are felt to have medicinal properties!