Dictionary: A   B   C   D   E   F   G   H   I   J   K   L   M   N   O   P   Q   R   S   T   U   V   W   X   Y   Z


[puhl-vuh-rahyz] /ˈpʌl vəˌraɪz/

verb (used with object), pulverized, pulverizing.
to reduce to dust or powder, as by pounding or grinding.
to demolish or crush completely.
Slang. to defeat, hurt badly, or, figuratively, render helpless:
The Kid pulverized Jackson with a series of brutal lefts. He’s a veteran nightclub comic who can pulverize any audience in seconds.
verb (used without object), pulverized, pulverizing.
to become reduced to dust.
to reduce (a substance) to fine particles, as by crushing or grinding, or (of a substance) to be so reduced
(transitive) to destroy completely; defeat or injure seriously

early 15c., from Late Latin pulverizare “reduce to powder or dust,” from Latin pulvis (genitive pulveris) “dust, powder” (see pollen). Related: Pulverized; pulverizing.


To defeat thoroughly; punish; clobber (1631+)


Read Also:

  • Pulverulent

    [puhl-ver-yuh-luh nt, -ver-uh-luh nt] /pʌlˈvɛr yə lənt, -ˈvɛr ə lənt/ adjective 1. consisting of dust or fine powder. 2. crumbling to dust or powder. 3. covered with dust or powder. /pʌlˈvɛrʊlənt/ adjective 1. consisting of, covered with, or crumbling to dust or fine particles

  • Pulvillus

    [puhl-vil-uh s] /pʌlˈvɪl əs/ noun, plural pulvilli [puhl-vil-ahy] /pʌlˈvɪl aɪ/ (Show IPA). Entomology. 1. a soft, padlike structure located at the base of each claw on the feet of certain insects. /pʌlˈvɪləs/ noun (pl) -li (-laɪ) 1. a small pad between the claws at the end of an insect’s leg

  • Pulvinar

    [puhl-vahy-ner] /pʌlˈvaɪ nər/ noun, plural pulvinaria [puhl-vuh-nair-ee-uh] /ˌpʌl vəˈnɛər i ə/ (Show IPA) 1. 2. Also called pulvinus. (on an Ionic capital) either of two convex forms having on their ends two of the volutes. adjective 3. (def 3). pulvinar pul·vi·nar (pŭl-vī’nər) n. The posterior extremity of the thalamus, forming a cushionlike prominence over the […]

  • Pulvinate

    [puhl-vuh-neyt] /ˈpʌl vəˌneɪt/ adjective 1. having the shape of a ; resembling a cushion; cushion-shaped. 2. having a . 3. Also, pulvinar. Architecture. (of a frieze or the like) having a convex surface from top to bottom. /ˈpʌlvɪˌneɪt/ adjective 1. (architect) (of a frieze) curved convexly; having a swelling 2. (botany)

Disclaimer: Pulverizer definition / meaning should not be considered complete, up to date, and is not intended to be used in place of a visit, consultation, or advice of a legal, medical, or any other professional. All content on this website is for informational purposes only.